CIT Program for Sailing
Shoreline Lake’s CIT program is a comprehensive sailing instructor training course designed to teach sailing and sailing instruction from the ground up. Over the course of one year trainees will learn how to sail and how to teach through a series of classes and shadowing opportunities with the end goal of becoming a certified US Sailing instructor.
The program is open to ages 15 or older with some previous sailing experience recommended (although not required). Candidates should be self-motivated and ready to learn–and have plenty of free weekends and time available in the summer.
Program fee of $1,150 includes:
- Winter/Spring: Learn to sail on the weekends with Introductory and Intermediate Sailing classes at Shoreline Lake, along with additional training based on the Advanced Sailing class and continued access to practice and instructional resources.
- Summer: Shadow our certified sailing instructors to learn how to safely and effectively run a class or summer camp. Strong emphasis on US Sailing teaching methodology fundamentals.
- Late Summer/Early Fall: Hands-on powerboat training with a focus on skills needed for the US Sailing Instructor practical exam. Continued opportunities for shadowing and practice.
- Note: Sailing instruction is tailored to all levels of sailing ability, and experienced sailors are not required to attend the Introductory session.
Important dates for the 2023 CIT Program:
- First Meeting: May 6, 8:30am-9am
- Introductory Sailing: May 6-7, 9am-1pm
- Intermediate Sailing: May 13-14, 1:30pm-5:30pm
- Training: May 20-21, 1:30pm-5:30pm
For more information about these classes:
Introductory Sailing | Intermediate Sailing
Students should bring comfortable clothes, a jacket or layers, a towel and change of clothes, lots of sun protection, a lanyard to secure your glasses, a bottle of water, and shoes that stay on your feet.
|Introductory Sailing||2 day class 9:00am-1:00pm
1 hr private lesson
|Intermediate Sailing||2 day class 1:30pm-5:30pm
1 hr private lesson
|Training||2 day class 1:30pm-5:30pm||May 20-21|
As part of the CIT program, you'll be shadowing our sailing instructors and assisting with summer camps. Summer camps begin in June and run through mid-August in 1-week sessions (Monday-Friday). CIT candidates may be working with one or more of several different sailing camp programs so timing can vary, but candidates should expect to spend a minimum of 3 hours per day for 2 weeks assisting with summer camps.
Continue to perfect your sailing and instructing skills through the fall and winter and work towards your US Sailing Instructor certification.
- Prerequisites and completion requirements for the US Sailing Level 1 Instructor certification are set by US Sailing. Requirements and prices are subject to change and currently include:
- NASBLA SafeBoating $40
- First Aid & CPR $40
- US Sailing Membership $95 for 4 years
- US Sailing Teaching and Coaching Fundamentals Online Course $10
- US Sailing Level 1 Instructor Online Course $125
- US Sailing Level 1 Instructor In-Person Course $300
The cost of US Sailing courses and associated prerequisites is not included in the CIT program. It is the responsibility of individuals enrolling in the CIT program to register for, pay for, and complete all required coursework in order to earn the US Sailing Instructor certification. US Sailing requires that Instructor candidates reach their 16th birthday within the calendar year in which they complete the Level 1 Instructor course, so in some cases individuals meeting the minimum age for the CIT program may not be eligible for the US Sailing Level 1 Instructor course until the following calendar year.
For more details or to request an application please contact our sailing staff at: email@example.com